Sunday 28 October 2012

"MANDY! YOU'RE DAUGHTER IS A BEAUTIFUL FEMINIST"

Quick thoughts on Feminism
 I was recently fortunate to engage in a discussion with one of my parents friends who were a homosexual couple about gender issues and feminism at my father’s birthday party. The flamboyant and significantly more intoxicated individual of the pair exclaimed to my mother “MANDY! YOU’RE DAUGHTER SAYS THAT YOU DON’T SAY YOU ARE A FEMINIST!” to which she replied “I am not a feminist, I am a woman and therefore I am naturally a feminist”
 Misogyny in our patriarchal society has been around for thousands of years, and feminism is only a reason 100 year old advent. It is going to take a lot longer than 100 years to change deeply embedded patriarchal values. This is why I think it is important to identify as feminist. If you don’t continue to protect your rights, the walls of the establishment will slowly close around you. And my parent’s friend Tom was quick to retort, gay rights, women’s rights any rights can be taken away in a second.


one of my favourite women’s liberation photographs. Vale street 2 by Carol Jerrems, the necklace she is wearing is the symbol Ankh symbolising the ancient power of women and the age of Aquarius

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately very true. Without visibility there cannot be a real impetus for change, so we need a wide range of women (and men) from all walks of life identifying and relating to a feminist perspective.

    ReplyDelete